There is nothing that will add to your landscaping quite like mulching will. Finding the right mulch and using it properly will have many benefits for your soil, plants and curb appeal. There is definitely a right and wrong way to use mulch though. Milam’s Tree Service is here to share some tips on how to use mulch properly as well as the many benefits that you will see when you decide to use mulch.
Tree Mulching Benefits
Following are some of the benefits that mulch brings to your landscaping. Some of these benefits are more obvious than others.
– Curb Appeal: There is something to be said for flowerbeds and tree bases that look rich, clean and manicured. When you apply mulch to your flowerbeds and landscaping, you get almost instant results. Your beds will look richer and cleaner. It’s the best way to enhance your beds.
– Improved Soil: When you choose a natural mulch made out of organic components, you will find that it can actually helps to improve your soil. As they break down and even get broken down by insects and microbes, the byproduct that is then found in the soil adds loads of nutritional value. Make sure you aren’t choosing rubber or gravel mulches as they don’t offer the same soil benefits as organic.
– Protection for Trees: Temperature fluctuations can be hard on your plants. When you have mulch around your plants, it can help them handle these temperature changes. This is why it is a good idea to put a good layer of mulch around your plants heading into winter; especially if your plants and trees are young.
– Moisture Conservation: You will find that when you have mulch around your plants and trees, they don’t need to be watered nearly as often. This can save you on your water bill and help save your plants when the temperatures are extremely warm outside.
– Weed Prevention: Mulch will naturally keep weeds away from your beds and tree bases and save you all that time you used to spend weeding.
Even though there are many benefits that come with mulching, you need to know that all those benefits will go out the window if you aren’t mulching the right way. Following are some common mulching mistakes that can actually hurt your landscaping rather than help it.
– Over Mulching: You shouldn’t have more than 3 inches of mulch in your beds. Any more than that and it will hurt your plants.
– Mulch Too Close to Tree Trunks: You shouldn’t put mulch any close to the trunk of your trees than 6-12 inches. Too close and it can cause disease.
– Wrong Mulch: If your mulch isn’t the right kind, it can steal nutrients from your soil rather than help it.
Mulch, Pine Straw, Top Soil, Fill Dirt, River Sand, Wood Chips & More in McDonough, Jackson, Jonesboro, Fayetteville, Hampton, Sunny Side GA | Fayette, Clayton & Henry Counties, Georgia
If you are looking for the right mulch to enhance your landscaping, look no further. Milam’s Tree Service provide mulching services that will leave your landscaping breathtakingly beautiful. Call us today!