Trees are not only beautiful they provide many benefits such as creating oxygen, removing carbon dioxide and providing shade, flowers and fruit. Trees also provide food and shelter for animals and birds. The decision to remove a tree is never taken lightly but on some occasions tree removal is necessary especially in cases of extreme damage or disease. Once a tree is cut down and removed, you will be left with the tree stump. In most instances the roots of the tree will stop growing but sometimes suckers can grow from the roots and you will need to consider some preventive measures to stop this from happening.
What is a Root Sucker AKA Water Sprout?
Root suckers, also known as basal shoots, root sprouts, adventitious shoots, water sprouts and suckers can sprout from the stump and become a nuisance each spring. Once your tree is cut down the actual roots of the tree will stop growing because the root system will no longer receive the nutrients that were previously supplied by the trees leaves through the process of photosynthesis. In layman’s terms, photosynthesis can be defined as the absorption of sunlight combined with water and carbon dioxide to create the necessary oxygen and carbohydrates needed for the root system to grow. That being said, it is possible for a tree to re-sprout once it has been cut down, when this occurs the resulting new growth can grow leaves to continue the process of photosynthesis and provide the root system with the nutrients and necessary fuel to continue growing. Sucker sprouts can grow from the stump or from the root system.
Professional Stump Removal Services Help Prevent Root Suckers
If you remove a tree from your property, you are typically left with a stump that not only ruins the appearance of your yard; it can also become a trip hazard and encourage nuisance pests. One of the many benefits of working with the knowledgeable experts at Milam’s Tree Service is professional stump removal. Once your tree has been cut down and removed, they can remove the stump to prevent future problems including the resulting sucker growth.
Benefits of Tree Stump Removal
There are numerous benefits to professional stump removal services including:
1. Safety: tree stumps can be dangerous when left in your yard creating the potential for family members and guests to trip over them and injury themselves, especially children who have a tendency to run around.
2. Good for the environment: tree stumps attract all manner of pests and insects as they begin to decompose which can infest your yard before finding their way inside your home and other structures. They can also spread disease to healthy plants and trees.
3. Speed & accuracy: The experienced stump removal experts at Milam’s Tree Service utilize machines that can grind the stump down quickly while preventing any damage to the plants, shrubs and trees in the immediate area.
4. Beneficial to your garden: an added benefit to stump grinding is that the blade of the machine creates mulch as a byproduct which is not only great for your garden, it also adds to the aesthetics of your landscape.
5. Prevents new tree growth: your tree stump can sprout root suckers which can be very difficult to get rid of once they become established. It is beneficial to remove the stump before this occurs.