As the holiday season approaches, many people start to think of ways that they can add Christmas spirit to their home with the use of outdoor lights. If you have trees in your yard, you may want to consider adding holiday lights to give a warm welcoming holiday spirit to your home. Milam’s Tree Service is here to share some tips to help you hang up holiday lights on your outdoor landscaping trees and shrubs.
How Many Feet of Lights to Wrap a Tree?
It is easy to grossly underestimate the amount of lights it takes to get your tree completely wrapped with Christmas lights. The first thing you are going to want to do when planning your outdoor Christmas lights is take some measurements. You will need to measure the circumference of the tree branches as well as the circumference of the tree trunk. You should take into consideration how closely you want to wrap the lights as well. To get an accurate number, you want to divide the height of your trees by the desired spacing which is generally about 6” bulb spacing with the lights 2-3” apart. Finally, you will multiply the total circumference to give you the total string length needed.
How to Decorate Outdoor Trees with Lights
It’s important to remember than not every single branch needs to be wrapped in lights to create a beautiful holiday light display. It is always easier to wrap a tree with lights when you have two people to help. Here is how it is done:
– Always start at the base of the tree with the male end of the plug is at ground level and able to plug into the power.
– Wrap the tree using a systematic approach. You will be connecting the male end with the light’s female end as you go.
– Wrap the lights tightly around your tree so they stay in place. If you are concerned that there are any that aren’t secure, you can use zip ties to secure them.
– Create a ball with the lights to make it easier to maneuver the lights around the trunk and branches.
– Only wrap the lights on the tree’s main branches as these branches are much stronger than the others.
– Wrap the lights back down the trunk and secure them back at the bottom.
How to Put Net Lights on Bushes & Shrubs
The easiest way to put lights on your bushes and shrubs is with the use of net lights. This will give you an even distribution of lights and a beautiful light display. If you don’t have net lights, you can use string lights by keeping them on the outer branches and wrapping them to properly light your bushes and shrubs.