The Fraser fir sits proudly in the number one slot for the bestselling Christmas tree of all time and this year’s trees promise to reign supreme for the 2016 Christmas season. Its fresh fragrance, well-constructed limbs, beautiful natural pyramid shape, and the trees ability to retain its sturdy yet soft needles make it the ideal tree for hanging precious Christmas ornaments. Fraser firs are distinguished by their two tone needles as each one has a dark green top with a silver underside. One of the Fraser fir trees many accolades includes the tree being selected more times as the official Christmas tree in the Blue Room at the White House than any other type of Christmas tree.
Fraser Fir Christmas Tree History
The Fraser fir (Abies fraseri) was named in honor of John Fraser, a Scottish botanist who explored the southern Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina during the late 1700’s. The tree grows naturally in the ideal conditions provided by the North Carolina High Country which include cool temperatures with plentiful amounts of precipitation. In fact it’s the temperature and rainfall combined which are responsible for the ability of the Fraser fir to retain its needles throughout the Christmas season. The tree is well known for its pyramid shape that can reach a height of 80 feet with a trunk diameter that can measure as much as 1 ½ feet. There are over 50 million Fraser firs grown in North Carolina each year with the purpose of Christmas in mind. At Milam’s Tree Service, Christmas trees are considered a fairly modern treedition. We are proud to purchase our top quality trees from Asheville, North Carolina.
Desirable Traits & Features of the Fraser Fir Tree
• The tree is pyramid in shape with compact, up turned branches
• Dark, blue green in color
• Short, flat, straight needles that are soft to the touch
• Excellent needle retention
• Strong piney fragrance
• Ideal for holding medium to heavy ornaments
Fraser Fir Tree Basic Care Tips
• Cut approximately ½ inch off of the base of the tree to ensure that the pores can allow for an adequate amount of water intake, cut straight across, and never cut at an angle to ensure maximum hydration.
• Use a reservoir type tree stand filled with 1 quart of water per inch of trunk diameter
• Keep away from direct heat sources including sunlight, television sets, and heaters.
• Use LED string lights that produce low levels of heat to extend your trees lifespan and reduce the risk of drying out the tree.
Christmas Tree Sales & Supply in McDonough, Jackson, Jonesboro, Fayetteville & Hampton as well as Fayette, Clayton & Henry Counties in Central Georgia
Nothing stirs old holiday recollections or plays such a vital role in creating new memories as a real, fresh Christmas tree. At Milam’s Tree Service, we hand pick each live Christmas tree to ensure that your tree will exceed our exceptionally high standards of quality. You can expect your fresh Fraser Fir Christmas Tree to retain its beauty all holiday season long. For more information regarding Christmas tree sales, contact the professionals at Milam’s Tree Service today, for our family to yours: Any Tree, Anywhere, Anytime, Truly a Family Treedition!